ENGLISH ONLY POLICY
At ICC Hawaii, we strive to create the ideal learning environment for our students. We are the pioneers of the “English Only” policy, which requires students to speak only English at school and on school activities. The “English Only” policy was originally developed by our students in an effort to ensure that all students at ICC Hawaii improve their English.
How does it work?
On the first day at ICC Hawaii, students pay a $25 English Only deposit in cash. In each student folder, there is an “English Only Violations” form on which we record any violations made.
- When students speak a language other than English at ICC Hawaii, or on ICC Hawaii activities or events, a violation will be noted on the violation form.
- A $5 fine will be deducted from the $25 English Only deposit for each violation.
- After a student receives 5 violations, he or she will be required to make another $25 cash deposit.
- Unused balances of the English Only deposit will be refunded on the student’s last day.
- The fines that are paid go toward future student activities, like Ohana potlucks, barbeques, or holiday parties.