Regardless of your native language, learning English can be tough. Certainly it’s fun and exciting, to a point. However, there are some fairly simple things you can do to make your efforts more successful. Our English language school offers these suggestions:
- Don’t burn yourself out by studying for blocks of hours. Instead, take time out to stretch your legs and enjoy some fresh air every 30 minutes if studying on your own.
- Put yourself in a situation where you learn English passively. When you’re in an environment surrounded by people who speak the language, you learn by listening – and speaking to those around you!
- Be confident when speaking English and never embarrassed by your words or pronunciation; after all, the only way those who are fluent in the language can correct you is if they hear your mistakes.
- Remember that in order for you to improve, it’s important to not only speak in and listen to English, but write and read it as well.
- Set small goals and when you achieve them, give yourself a reward.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you don’t understand something, whether it’s a friend, classmate, teacher, or acquaintance.
- While watching television is a good way to better understand English and how it’s used, DVDs are even better as you can watch them repeatedly, which helps reinforce the information.
- Oftentimes studying the words around a word in a sentence you don’t understand will give you the meaning of that word.
- When you’re first beginning to learn English, children’s books are a good choice because they contain simpler words.
- Like riding a bicycle or driving a car, you have to actually go through the motions of doing it to learn! Learning the English language is similar in that you shouldn’t rely only on books – speak the language, listen, even consider starting a blog so you can share your journey with others.
At ICC Hawaii we’re all about helping those who desire to learn the English language reach their goals! From programs designed for adults, teens, and kids to custom programs and teacher training, we make learning more exciting in a beautiful, inviting environment.